Hugh Brown was born in Guiness, county Down, Ireland, on May 6, 1810. He graduated from Belfast College and studied in Glasgow, Scotland, where he was also licensed by the Glasgow Presbytery of Original Burgher Seceders. He was transferred to the Presbytery of Belfast and ordained and installed in the congregation of Carryduff. After coming to America, he joined the Associate Presbytery of New York, in November, 1848, and, in January, 1849, he was installed in Southwark, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and continued there until 1852. From 1853 to 1856, he was stated supply in Spencerville, Canada, for the Presbyterian Church of Canada. From 1858 to 1867, he pastored in East Salem, Washington County, New York. Later in life, he was forced into retirement because of total blindness. Between 1873 and 1877, he lived in Stillwater, New York then moving to Shushan, New York, where he remained until his death March 19, 1888. He did not publish much beyond a couple of sermons among which are these discourse on behalf of Scripture Psalms and the maintenance of a cappella singing.